Wednesday 30 June 2010

Injured Then Not?

I'm happy to say that since the weekend I've been totally back on plan and this morning was ecstatic to even see a new low on the scales. I'm determined to keep it going again now, no more 36hr binges for me!
Since I started running in January I've had several little niggly injuries in my legs, one in my right hamstring I think which still niggles now and again, but the one that occured the beginning of last week seemed here to stay. For a few weeks my left calf has felt tight when I've first got up on a morning, and when I've started running on the treadmill at the gym my calf and shin have ached for the first 10mins or so, but then have been fine. Last Tuesday though after my workout, when I got home my calf, shin and ankle really started to hurt. I wasn't sure what the route of the problem was but I iced my lower leg and took a rest day on the Wednesday. It did ease a fair bit so I did my usual Thursday workout, after which it hurt again, so I rested it again on Friday and Saturday. Sunday I went to the gym and it was just the same, and Monday step class was uncomfortable. Then later on Monday I went to reach up to one of the high shelves in the kitchen and when I raised onto my tiptoes and put more weight on my left leg it suddenly hurt much more. It was at this point I knew I needed to finally do something about it, so yesterday whilst at the gym I went to see the sports physio and had a quick chat with him. He said it could be merely a calf strain, neurological or to do with my achilles, so booked me in for an initial consultation tomorrow at 11am. He said that I can still do my first 5k race on Saturday as it doesn't seem to be severe at this stage, but that I should try to focus on the bike and eliptical to rest it a bit til I see him.
Well, would you believe it, I got up this morning, started to walk towards the bathroom and.... no tightness... no pain... nothing! I pointed and flexed my foot and did a few experimental moves to see if that caused it to hurt, nope. Walked my daughter to school, still nothing. I figured I'd go to my step class at lunchtime and that would make it raise it's ugly head again for sure, but here I am and still no pain! And now I don't know what to do, I considered going to see if the physio was there to cancel my appointment for tomorrow, but then figured I have another workout in the morning before my appointment so need to see how that goes. If the pain comes back then he can look into it, if not I will go and just talk to him about my niggles and see if he can offer any advice and give me some stretches and strengthening exercises to hopefully reduce the chance of me getting anymore. I'm just relieved that I'm not in pain today, so I'll take it. If I have to pay for a physio session and only get advice from it, if that's all I need, then fine.
And did I say, my first 5k Race is only 3 days away and I'm absolutely terrified!!! I know I can run the distance, have got up to 6k non-stop now and 8k with walk breaks, so that's not a problem, but I'm worried that the weather is going to be hot which I'm not used to running in yet and that I won't be able to get a steady pace going because of the other runners. My main problem is that I've got it into my head that I want to run the whole thing, and in under 40mins. I'm getting faster, but right now I'm still a slow runner, so I'd be ecstatic with under 40mins. But what if it's too hot and the heat affects me badly, what if I have to take walk breaks, what if I can't keep a steady pace because of the other runners and don't make the 40mins? See, loads of what ifs which just mean I'm terrified of not achieving my goals. I know it's not the end of the world if I walk or don't make the time, but in my head it is, I want to do the best that I can and prove to myself and my family just how far I've come in the last 11 months, and I want the whole experience to be totally positive and give me the momentum to keep going to a 10k next. I know realistically there is nothing more I can do now to prepare myself, other than pray to the weather gods that it's cloudy and cool on Saturday, and that I'm lucky with the crowds and can get a steady pace going. All I know is I'm going to be SO glad when it's over lol

No comments:

Post a Comment